February 17, 2008

lazy sunday afternoon


We had a bit of a walk around St Kilda on this glorious sunny afternoon and stopped for coffee at Il Fornaio . We shared one of their yummy lemon meringue pies so I thought we should be good and have a light dinner. The recipe had to be one I've cut from delicious (and I'm feeling pretty smug as this weekend I've done lots more culling...there's only 12 months' worth left) so I chose a light and healthy Jill Dupleix salad.

I'd guess it's probably from her last book Lighten Up although it doesn't say. It was very good, but no wonder poor old Terry's lost all that weight. The recipe says it serves 4, but when I'd dished up two medium sized bowls for our dinner there was only a bit left over for my lunch tomorrow. Here's the (slightly altered) recipe:

Glass noodles with chicken, lime and mint (serves 4?)

4-5 chicken tenderloins
200g rice vermicelli
10 cherry tomatoes, quartered
1/2 small cucumber, thinly sliced
2 spring onions, sliced
1 large red chilli, thinly sliced
100g bean sprouts, rinsed
handful mint, basil and coriander
2 T unsalted roasted peanuts, chopped

Dressing:
2 T lime juice
2 T fish sauce
2 T sweet chilli sauce
1 T olive oil
1 tspn caster sugar

Fry chicken in non-stick pan until cooked through. Slice against the grain. Cook noodles according to packet instructions, drain and snip through once or twice with scissors. Whisk together the dressing ingredients and toss through all ingredients except the peanuts. Divide amongst bowls and scatter with peanuts.

No comments: