March 20, 2008

vegan cupcakes


For the past week we've been living in the front (carpeted) half of the house while the timber floor in the back half has been sanded and polished. The combination of the extreme heatwave, the fumes from the floor and having no kitchen or computer have made for a pretty hellish week. All back to normal now so was finally able to make Katie some vegan cupcakes as a thank-you for the the farewell song!
I sat and copied out a recipe in Borders (which I reckon is a far lesser sin than taking the book into the cafe which you are allowed to do) from The joy of vegan baking. I wanted a recipe which didn't have egg substitute in it, which I've heard is difficult to use successfully.

Here's my adaption of it :

Vegan Coffee Cake(s) (makes 12)

Preheat oven to 185C.

235ml soy milk
78ml canola (I used Nuttelex), melted
15ml apple cider vinegar
125g plain flour
100g sugar
1 t baking powder
1 t bicarb soda
2 t cinnamon
1 t ground ginger
¼ t salt

Combine wet ingredients. In a separate bowl sift together dry ingredients. Mix together and pour evenly into a paper-lined muffin tin.

Crumble topping:

94g plain flour
50g brown or white sugar
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t ground ginger
¼ t salt
115g sliced pecans
78 ml canola (Nuttelex), melted

Work ingredients together with hands, spoon evenly over batter. Bake for about 20 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean.

The nuts sank in most of them - no idea why. In the picture in the book they were stting beautifuly on the top, but I tasted one and it was pretty good. Hey, it even tasted like a normal cake!

And while we're on the subject of give-away cupcakes...I saw this post on Confessions of a food nazi's blog - how funny! Should I copy this idea when we sell the house?

No comments: